In contrast to conventional amphiphilic molecules, lyotropic chromonic compounds form molecular aggregates due to strong hard-core interactions, instead of forming micelles, which are responsible for various mesomorphic behaviors of the solution. Our study focuses on the structural relationships between chromonic molecules and aggregates, mesophase structures, control of the order of aggregates in a macroscopic scale, and their potential applications. We utilize synchrotron x-ray scattering, polarizing optical microscopy, and various optical measurements.
7. Chromonic Liquid Crystals
Publications and Presentations
1. Columnar molecular aggregation in the aqueous solutions of disodium cromoglycate, D. Agra-Kooijman, G. Singh, A. Lorenz, P. Coolings, H. Kitzerow and S. Kumar, PRE 89, 062504 (2014).
2. D. M. Agra-Kooijman, L. Joshi, G. Singh, S.W. Kang, P. J. Collings, and S. Kumar, Invited Talk, Molecular Assembly and Ordering in Aqueous Solutions of Chromonic Mesogens, Optics of Liquid Crystals 2013, Honolulu, Hawaii, Sept 29 – Oct 4 (2013).
3. Structure of Nematic and Columnar Chromonic Mesophases of Disodium Cromoglycate: New Perspectives, DM. Agra-Kooijman, G. Singh, P.J. Collings, and S. Kumar, (Oral Presentation) 24th International Liquid Crystal Conference, Mainz, Germany, August 19-24 (2012).
4. Concentration, temperature, and pH dependence of sunset-yellow aggregates in aqueous solutions: An x-ray investigation , L. Joshi, S.W. Kang, D. M. Agra-Kooijman, and S. Kumar, Physical Review E 80, 41703 (2009).
22nd International Liquid Crystal Conference, Jeju Island, S. Korea, June 28- July 4 (2008)
1. Mesophases of Chiral and Achiral Aggregates Based on Chromonic Perylene Mesogens, S.-W. Kang, L. Joshi, Y.-J. Bae, J. J. Naidu, K.-U. Jeong, M.-H. Lee, and S. Kumar.
2. Chromonic Liquid Crystals of a different kind, Supramolecular Anisotropic Phases, David Jenkins, J.-O. Park, M. Srinivasarao, S.-W. Kang, and S. Kumar.
3. Effects of Ionic Additives on Self-assembly of Lyotropic Chromonic Liquid Crystal Sunset Yellow, H.-S. Park, S.-W. Kang, L. Tortora, D. Finotello, S. Kumar, and O.D. Lavrentovich, 2nd International Symposium on the Manipulation of Advanced Smart Materials, Hyogo, Japan, May 28-29 (2008).